Thursday, March 18, 2010

Childhood's End





I just finished reading Childhood's End by the recommendations of a friend. It was a fascinating novel written by Arthur C Clarke which embarks on the strange and unknown; presenting itself to us from outer space. Aliens descend in giant space ships and make it their priority to organize the affairs of man. No one can much complain though, we are doing better now than we would have been without them. Overlord's with horns and leathery wings, they might be associated with the modern day devil from the Bible. What is their real mission, why are they here? Why do they care what happens to man? I am not sure how I would feel to know that my destiny was in the hands of some extraterrestrial being and not up to my free will anymore. They might only want the best, but what would become of humanity if our liberties were taken away? What might evolve, and what technologies may or may not show themselves to us should our very curiosity be stamped out forever. If you enjoy science fiction I would say for you to read this. It is a rather gloomy tale, but still very much enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment